Thursday, February 4, 2010

Flying.. long haul

Its been a while that I posted anything here. So I guess an update is in order.
I recently flew to the US of A on a work assignment. I was adviced of the trip a few week prior. The first thing that came to my mind was not so much about the assignment itself but the flight to and fro.

One thing about me, I don't get jittery or quesy on flights, but its the sitting down for many hours in a confined space that really gets to me.

Let me explain.
I got up at about 4.30 to get ready, and the cab duly arrived to pick me up and transported me to KLIA for my 9.00 a.m flight. I took the Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong. Why to Hong Kong, simply because I wanted to arrive in San Francisco instead of Los Angeles.

About the flight, its a 3 hour trip, which I can stand, its ok, my butt is not hurt. There's the inflight entertainment to while my time, took my nap after the meal served. Uneventful flight altogether... By the way the MAS flight attendants are a wee bit more attractive.

3 hours of sitting down and no cig for the whole trip, now that is a little bit trying but I can manage.

As we landed in Hong Kong, I made sure that I went to the right terminal and found the gate, but prior to being at the gate, found the smoking lounge. Had my dose of cigs and a bit more to prepare me for the 12 hour flight to San Francisco.

By the way, the books in the terminal are far more expensive than the ones found in KLIA.

Boarding the flight to US was a bit of a hassle, we got to remove our shoes, their security people going through my carry on bags, and of all thing, my gastric medicine, in liquid form cannot be taken on board with me... so into the bin it went. But it was ok in KLIA though.

Boarded, aisle seat as requested, at least I need not share one arm rest with the person next to me.

Now its a 12 hour flight, at least, as it was announced earlier.... by the 3rd hour my butt is sore. Used the blanket under my butt, part of the way it was not sufficient. The small pillow went under my butt.

While most passengers were asleep, I can't. Read, watched the movies, walked around the cabin (I was also afraid that the US Airmarshall was on board and observing me...) I am harmless my man, its just my sore butt and swollen legs.. I need to move around.

A wonderful surprise was that Cathay Pacific put this cart of goodies near the galley, peanuts, apples, cookies, soda (including my Light Coke) for your helping...


It was such a relief to have landed in Frisco......

But this was where I was heading.... Another 2 hour of flight and it was delayed by 2 hours because of the storm in San Francisco.. more waiting, more sitting, more whiling.....


Salt Lake City was where I was heading... that will be another story altogether.

visit my scribd - rutz.zainal

No comments: