Friday, February 12, 2010

Salt Lake City 2

Salt Lake Temple, Utah, UsaImage via Wikipedia
One of the things that I like about most American cities is the grid or block system of the city design. The grid system allows for better organisation of the buidlings, road names, transportation services. It is also easier to find your way to a certain destination in the city.
Salt Lake City is organised in such a way that most streets in the downtown area is refered as South, West, East, North.

Let me give you an example:
I stayed at a hotel which is at the corner of South 200 West Street. To go to the Salt Palace Convention center, when I asked the reception for direction, besides giving me a map, he said, "You go 4 blocks down (he pointing the way for me) and then 2 blocks on to your right."
I walked 4 blocks and then turned right and walked 2 blocks and there I was standing in front of the Salt Place Convention center.
The same thing when you drive from the hotel, but of course you got to be aware of the one way streets.

Now you tell me how you'd show me the way to Berjaya Time Square from the Pavillion. (Not that you cannot, but what would you say to me?)


visit my scribd - rutz.zainal
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would say.. u take a cab.. the driver will take u there.. how about that?

-qin-