Saturday, February 13, 2010

How you dress is not what you are

Last night I frequented my regular capati joint not far from home with my wife and son. Mat, a Bangladeshi, makes one of the best capati I've ever had, its soft and light.
I've known Mat for some time and we can talk about many things just like how friends would do. If I had not visited his stall for sometime, he would fret, thinking that I did not like his capatis and the teh tarik-maker would also enquire about the long absence.
Mat came to Malaysia many years ago to work as a production engineer with a factory but decided to leave and work as a roticanai/capati maker with a stall here, when the factory was right sizing people.
He decided that working at the stall enable him to make more money so that he can send it back home to Bangladesh. Last year he got married.

What happened last night was that, sitting at another table were 2 elderly men, both of whom I guess just got back from the surau, and having their round of teh tarik. One of the man, with his kupiah (skull cap) and his janggut (goatee) and on this account alone you would say this is an orang alim (religious man). But what came out of his mouth and how he sounded was not becoming of him.

He asked Mat about chicken, Bangladesh has no chickens, and the way he sounded was that chicken is somewhat strange to Bangladeshis and Bangladeshis would not have had chicken if they do not venture out of Bangladesh... he sounded patronising and demeaning.

Mat, smiled and said there are plenty of chickens in Bangladesh just like Malaysia, chicken is not something strange or that Bangladeshis are deprived of them.

The elderly gentleman was not to happy with what sounded like a rebuke from Mat to him and said something like Bangladesh is a poor country, many poor people, that's why they leave Bangladesh. (By this time I told my wife, this is the kind of man (the elderly gentleman) that I don't like.... the one who sounded ego driven and everything must be from his point of view).

Mat calmly said to him that yes, just like Malaysia there are poor people in Bangladesh, but there also plenty of rich people... houses with swimming pools and, he pointed to the gentleman's Mercedes Benz 200E (not E200), saying there are many people who drive Mercedes too....

Touche' Mat, the man decided his mouth had confirmed how stupid and obnoxious he was.... if you are not sure if you are stupid just close your mouth, opening your mouth only comfirmed your stupidity.

What saddened me is the fact that the personality of the elderly man, with his kupiah, janggut he looks like a pious man, but when he talked and the way he talked he sounded like a snob, patronising, egoistic... I know fullwell when you are just having a friendly banter (bergurau) but he was not.....

Can't just judge a book by its cover.......
But hey, who am I to judge... I judge you not.

visit my http://www.scribd.com/ - rutz.zainal

No comments: